The following is taken from wikipedia. I just replaced 'George W. Bush' with 'Barack Obama' and 'terror' with 'Global Warming'*, in all other instances I kept the original in brackets.
The Barack Obama administration defined the following objectives in the War on Global Warming:
- Defeat Global Warmers (terrorists) such as 19.-20. century industries (Osama bin Laden, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi) and destroy their organizations.
- Identify, locate and destroy Global Warmers (terrorists) along with their organizations
- Deny sponsorship, support and sanctuary to Global Warmers (terrorists)
- End the state sponsorship of Global Warming (terrorism)
- Establish and maintain an international standard of accountability with regard to combating Global Warming (terrorism)
- Strengthen and sustain the international effort to fight Global Warming (terrorism)
- Work with willing and able states
- Enable weak states
- Persuade reluctant states
- Compel unwilling states
- Interdict and disrupt material support for Global Warming (terrorists)
- Eliminate terrorist sanctuaries and havens
- Diminish the underlying conditions that Global Warmers (terrorists) seek to exploit
- Partner with the international community to strengthen weak states and prevent (re)emergence of Global Warming (terrorism)
- Win the war of ideals
- Defend US citizens and interests at home and abroad
- Implement the National Strategy for Homeland Cooling (Security)
- Attain domain awareness
- Enhance measures to ensure the integrity, reliability, and availability of critical physical and information-based infrastructures at home and abroad
- Integrate measures to protect US citizens abroad
- Ensure an integrated incident management capability
Dear Mister President, 'The Global War on Terror' started on October, 7th, 2001 - Who in the world keeps us from ending that war and start engaging ourselves as passionate, ressourceful, and determined to fight 'The Global War on Global Warming'?
Ah, about the cost? The War on Terror did cost:
"A March 2011 Congressional report estimated spending related to the war through fiscal year 2011 at $1.2 trillion, and that spending through 2021 assuming a reduction to 45,000 troops would be $1.8 trillion."
A trillion equals one thousand billion and a billion equals one thousand million. But money shoul be no problem as Global Warming is a threat - what do you guess? - one thousand times more dangerous than global terror? One million times more dangerous?
Whatever. We should stop The War on Terror now and take the 45,000 troops and $1.8 trillion to really save the world from a true threat, or? Mr. President? Do You Copy?
As sad as it is: Only wars unleash the potential in governments that we need to create, sustain, and leave behind a better world for forthcoming generations.
Let US change the face of war forever. Stop the War on Terror, start a 'War' on Global Warming! Let us all unite and create that better world now!
In case you would love to get more positive pros on that: just think about the potential and power to creativity, will, imagination, and innovation - unleashed by such a monumental budget. We could even feed all the poor, as there is some money to be found in other countries' military budgets.
Not convinced that that is the right thing to do? Read this at Quartz: Sandy as a glimpse into the future: Americans should prepare for a scarcity of resources and a fight for survival.
*Why I picked 'Global Warming' instead of 'Climate Change'?
1. 'Warming' is the problem - not 'Change'.
2. Imagine all the fantastic buttons and badges you could design using this great tagline: 'Global War on Global Warming' > FIGHT GLOBAL WAR/MING!